Wednesday 4 October 2017

Training record

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 with
On Thursday 20 September at Parliament House Brendan, Ewen, me, Isaac, Jen, Jennie, Ruth, Caroline, Dave, Brownie, Colin, Sandeep participated in 12 x Rose Garden intervals on 2:30. Ewen ran early, too.

Monday 25 September at Parliament House I was away; Bronwyn organised relays with 5 participants, if I recall who they were I shall add names.

Then on Thursday 27 September at Parliament House Brendan, me, Isaac, Jennie, Ruth, Dave, Brownie participated in 10 x Rose Garden intervals on 3:00.

Sunday 1 October Speedygeese long run report: A beautiful morning for the start of Spring in Canberra (we’re a month behind) and another Speedygeese long run, with a new route through Tuggeranong Pines courtesy of Ewen. I [Dave] snuck in a couple of kms warmup before the start and narrowly avoided a triple magpie attack (with one distracting me while the others performed a perfect pincer attack). 😳
With 10 starters, including newbies Lisa and Martin, (but minus Nigel who failed the daylight savings IQ test 🤣), we started off from Calwell Shops at a leisurely warmup pace. Lacking any major dramas for once, we just enjoyed a pleasant trot along the railway line.
Ewen, Ruth, Sarah, Isaac, Mhairi and Jennie turned back to Calwell to complete the 16k short course, while Lisa, Thommo, Martin and I headed to Fadden Pines, where Lisa turned back to finish with around 20k.
Thommo volunteered to be left behind at Wanniassa Hills and was last seen walking up the hill before heading home for a total of 26km. Martin and I did another 14k over Wanniassa Hills and around Farrer Ridge before heading back to Calwell. All up Martin did 31k and I finished with 32 and 600m elevation. Even managed to get 2nd overall on the Ashley Drive Strava segment in the 29th km. 😁
For a change nobody got seriously lost, although Martin and I created our own route for the last half rather than sticking to Ewen’s course (not that we don’t appreciate Ewen’s efforts). I think we’ve finally worked out a solution to going the wrong way – just don’t worry about it. 😜
Some of those who did the short course enjoyed a coffee and snack at Calwell Shops. Finishing about 2 hours after the others, who were obviously well gone by then, Martin and I discussed injuries over a quick coffee.
Imagine my surprise as I was leaving, to see Ewen wandering aimlessly in the carpark. He gets this week’s commendation for sitting outside for an hour waiting for Martin and I to finish (assuming we had stuck to the route and would approach from the opposite direction), while we were inside chatting and sipping cappuccino’s 😂 😂 😂. Feeling sorry for Ewen, and the fact that he paid for my coffee, I arranged a coffee and a Strava leaderboard roundup this arvo at his favourite Mc Restaurant.
Thanks for the run guys (and of course your photos, once again). Might see you at Sri Chinmoy 10k tomorrow morning or Speedygeese intervals tomorrow night. 😊


And on Monday 2 October there were Parliament House East Side relays (2 each one ten minutes), burpees (10) and hill sprints (4). Participating were Rae, Ruth, Jennie; Bronwyn, Pieta, Giles; Isaac, Colin, Sarah. I ran early then supervised, Christopher joined in late. (No Dave though)

This Thursday is the final Thursday training at Parliament House before we move to Thursday training at Woden on the 12th. . Longer intervals is the plan for the next few weeks on Mondays, although relays might happen with a big turn-out.

After Parliament House intervals on Monday 16th I am inviting the training group and friends to drop into Bentham street bar 'n' pizza at Yarralumla for food and drink. Get there around 7:00pm. All very welcome!


Giles and a view.